6. "It’s strange. A lot of the time you don’t register the important moments as they happen. You only see that they were important when you look back."
7. “Sometimes James feels like a boy I could love. Like, really love and other times, he feels like a total fucking stranger.”
8. "Sometimes everything is suddenly really simple, You step out and you see where you are really clearly. You see yourself, and you think, ‘Fuck this shit."
9. "It's so weird when you've wanted something for so long, and you expect it to be shit, but it's not shit."
10. "I was never Alyssa’s protector. She was mine."
11. "You can't just make people and then abandon them. They'll think they've done something wrong their entire life."
12. "To be mad in a deranged world is not madness; it’s sanity.”
13. "I've seen you skating. You're pretty shit."
14. "Last week he said he thought I needed a bigger bra, so I threw a chicken kiev at his head"
15. “I’m James, I’m 17, and I’m pretty sure I’m a psychopath.”
16. "As a rule, I didn't dance. But it was hard to say no to Alyssa."
17. "I get these moments when I have to lie down because everything feels sort of too much and I look up and see the blue, or the grey, or the black and I feel myself melting into it. And, for like a split second, I feel free. And happy. Innocent. Like a dog, or an alien, or a baby."
18. “I’ve just turned eighteen and I think I understand what people mean to each other.”
19. "I will have a great big banana shit with extra fucking cherries all on top of it”
20. "Why are you talking like Downtown Abbey?"
21. "You can get stuck in a place and not even realize it. If you're not careful, you can get stuck there forever."
22. "People say moments like this are like ripping off a plaster. The problem is that underneath the plaster, there's still quite a lot of shit."
23. "I used to feel like I knew myself. But for a while now, I don't think I've been properly in my body."
24. "If this was a film, we'd probably be American."
25. "Maybe I'm gay. Maybe he's asexual. We’re dealing with a really broad spectrum these days."