Here are 21 classic quotes from Sherlock that every Sherlock Holmes fan needs to know:
21. “I’m not a psychopath, Anderson. I’m a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research.”
20. “Data! Data! Data!” he cried impatiently. “I can’t make bricks without clay."
19. “Anderson, don’t talk out loud. You lower the IQ of the whole street.”
18. "They say that genius is an infinite capacity for taking pains, he remarked with a smile. It’s a very bad definition, but it does apply to detective work"
17. “You, being all mysterious with your cheekbones and turning your coat collar up so you look cool.”
16. "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
15. "You look sad when you think he can’t see you.”
14. "Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
13. "My name is Sherlock Holmes. It is my business to know what other people don’t know."
12. "I ought to know by this time that when a fact appears to be opposed to a long train of deductions it invariably proves to be capable of bearing some other interpretation."
11. “Sentiment is a chemical defect found on the losing side.”
10. “We solve crimes. I blog about it, he forgets his pants. I wouldn’t hold out too much hope.”
9. "The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes."
8. "A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the lumber-room of his library where he can get it if he wants."
7. "It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important."
6. "I never make exceptions. An exception disproves the rule."
5. "When a doctor does go wrong, he is the first of criminals. He has the nerve and he has the knowledge."
4. "I never guess. It is a shocking habit,—destructive to the logical faculty."
3. "Every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain."
2. "I think that there are certain crimes which the law cannot touch, and which therefore, to some extent, justify private revenge."
1. "I listen to their story, they listen to my comments, and then I pocket my fee."