The British Shorthair-cat is another version of the British domestic cat and it’s one of the most popular and loved cat breeds on the planet Earth. If you’d like to learn more about them, scroll down and check out the list of the 8 interesting facts about British Shorthairs we compiled for you.
8. It's one of the most popular shorthaired cat breed in the world.
7. The average lifespan of a British Shorthair cat is 15 to 20 years.
6. The British Shorthair-cat is generally reffered to as the “bulldog of cats” because of its stocky build and British history.
5. They are known for their ability to get along well with different types of people and their easy-going nature.
4. These cats may have a low activity level, however, they are one of the most intelligent cat breeds.
Therefore they've been widely used in film, television and stage acts.
3. Not all British Shorthairs are gray.
The actual type of the cat is called the British Blue. However, while it's the most popular one of the breed, it's not the only one. British Shorthair cats may also be white, black, red, gold, and silver, among other fur colors.
2. They come from the cats of Ancient Rome.
Some experts think that the breed is descended from cats imported to Rome from ancient Egypt.
1. They almost went extinct.
During both World War I and World War II, cat fanciers stopped breeding the British Shorthair, which actually contributed to their near extinction. Fortunately, British Shorthair enthusiasts crossbred their cats with Persian and other felines to ensure the breed's survival.