Even though horses are such well-known and popular animals, you might not know much about them. So keep reading to learn some interesting facts that will help you get to know horses better. Here’s a list of 15 interesting facts that you might not know about horses.
15. There are more than 600 horse breeds.
14. Horses can sleep both standing up and lying down.
13. The average lifespan of horses is about 25-30 years.
12. Horses first began to be domesticated around 6,000 years ago.
11. Horses are among the most intelligent, social and ingenious animals.
10. There are more than 50 million horses living in the world today.
9. However, there are no true wild horses left in the world.
8. Horses can walk & run within a few hours after birth.
7. Female horses have fewer teeth than males.
6. The closest relatives to horses are zebras, rhinos and donkeys.
5. The American Quarter Horse is the most popular horse breed.
4. With fewer than 200 left, the rarest horse breed is The Sorraia.
3. Horses can only breathe through their nose.
2. The average heart of a horse is over 10 times bigger than humans.
1. Twin horses are extremely rare.