If you are a hot dog enthusiast, here is a list of 12 interesting facts about hot dogs you need to know.
1. Contrary to what is believed, hot dogs aren't sandwiches.
2. Americans alone consumed more than 20 billion hot dogs a year.
3. Most hot dogs are consumed in Los Angeles, which puts the city at the top of the list of the most hot dog consuming cities around the world.
4. The original names for the Americanized hot dogs were franks and wieners.
5. One of the first foods eaten on the moon was hot dogs.
6. Hot Dogs were first sold by Chris von der Ahe at baseball games in 1893.
7. Mickey Mouse's first spoken line on screen is "Hot dogs! Hot dogs!"
8. In 1939, President Franklin D. Roosevelt served two little hot dogs to Queen Elizabeth and King George. However, it was the king who ate both.
9. Joey Chestnut ate 76 hot dogs in 10 minutes in 2021 at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, breaking the previous record of 75 set by him the year before.
10. The most popular hot dog topping is mustard.
11. According to the Guinness Book of Records, it was the Tokyo Dog truck that sold the world's most expensive hot dog. It was sold in Seattle for $169.
12. According to the Council, July is National Hot Dog Month and National Hot Dog Day falls on the 3rd Wednesday of July.