LL Cool J, whose real name is James Todd Smith, is an American rapper, songwriter, record producer, and actor. He was born on January 14, 1968 in Bay Shore, New York. He is known for being one of the earliest rappers to achieve commercial success, alongside fellow new school hip hop acts Beastie Boys and Run-DMC. Some other things about LL Cool J include that he has released numerous successful albums throughout his career, including Radio (1985), Bigger and Deffer (1987), and Mama Said Knock You Out (1990). Some facts about LL Cool J are that he has also appeared in numerous films and television shows, including Halloween H20, Deep Blue Sea, and NCIS: Los Angeles. In addition to his successful music and acting career, LL Cool J has also won two Grammy Awards and was the first rapper to receive the Kennedy Center Honors in 2017. These are just a few of the many interesting LL Cool J facts. Check out the list below to find out more LL Cool J facts.
1. LL Cool J was born James Todd Smith on January 14, 1968, in Bay Shore, New York, United States.
2. His stage name, LL Cool J, stands for "Ladies Love Cool James."
3. LL Cool J began his music career in the 1980s as a rapper and hip-hop artist.
4. He released his debut album, "Radio," in 1985, which featured the hit singles "I Can't Live Without My Radio" and "Rock the Bells."
5. LL Cool J is known for his distinctive deep voice and charismatic stage presence.
6. He pioneered the "hardcore" rap style, blending aggressive lyrics with catchy hooks and melodic beats.
7. In addition to his successful music career, LL Cool J has also ventured into acting. He has appeared in numerous films and television shows, including the long-running TV series "NCIS: Los Angeles."
8. He has won multiple Grammy Awards throughout his career, including Best Rap Solo Performance for the songs "Mama Said Knock You Out" and "Hey Lover."
9. LL Cool J has released over a dozen studio albums, with hit songs like "I Need Love," "Around the Way Girl," and "Doin' It."
10. He became the first rapper to release an album (Radio) that went platinum, selling over a million copies.
11. LL Cool J has collaborated with various artists across different genres, including Jennifer Lopez, Brad Paisley, and Boyz II Men.
12. He has been recognized for his contributions to music and pop culture, receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2016.
13. LL Cool J has also authored several books, including "I Make My Own Rules" and "LL Cool J's Platinum Workout."
14. He hosted the Grammy Awards for five consecutive years, from 2012 to 2016.
15. LL Cool J was the first rap artist to perform at the prestigious Kennedy Center Honors ceremony in 2017.
16. He is known for his philanthropic work, supporting various charitable organizations and initiatives.
17. LL Cool J has been influential in shaping the hip-hop culture and is considered one of the pioneers of the genre.
18. He has been recognized as one of the greatest rappers of all time by various publications and industry experts.
19. LL Cool J was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2021, becoming the seventh hip-hop artist to receive this honor.
20. Despite his success and fame, LL Cool J has remained grounded and focused on his family, often expressing the importance of his loved ones in his life.