You’ve probably recently heard the name MGMT come up in the music world thanks to TikTok videos and memes. But you might not know much about them and it’s likely you might be wondering who is MGMT. So keep reading to learn some interesting facts that will help you get to know the band better. Here’s a list of 10 interesting facts about MGMT we’ve compiled for you.
10. MGMT was founded in 2002 by multi-instrumentalists Ben Goldwasser and Andrew VanWyngarden.
9. It was originally called "The Management". However, since another group had the rights to that name, they shortened it to MGMT.
8. Therefore, using "management" to refer to the band is just wrong. The correct way to say their name is spelling the individual letters: “M-G-M-T.”
7. Like many great bands that formed in college, MGMT was also a campus band at first.
6. Benjamin Goldwasser is from Westport, New York while Andrew VanWyngarden grew up in Memphis, Tennessee but they met at Wesleyan University in Connecticut, where they founded the band in 2002 and graduated in 2005.
5. In an interview with the Honolulu Advertiser “Being famous was never the goal,” says VanWyngarden. “We acted like pop stars on our campus of 3,000 people. We would play little living room parties and act like we were playing stadiums. It was all part of the joke.”
4. MGMT has won 5 awards, including 1 Grammy Award from 3 nominations, and has been nominated for over 15 awards.
3. The band's musical style has been characterized as a range of pop and rock genres, including psychedelic pop, synth-pop, indie pop, psychedelic rock, indie rock, electronic rock, and neo-psychedelia.
2. MGMT rejected Jay-Z collaboration once. The rapper revealed that he had reached out to fellow Brooklynites in hopes of collaborating on a track for the album The Blueprint 3. But "MGMT turned me down” Jay-Z told Gotham magazine.