The Poodle is a dog breed which originally comes from Germany as a type of water dog, or from the French Barbet. Poodles are considered as one of the most intelligent breeds in the world and one of the most popular breeds in the USA. However, how well do you know about them? Check out the 15 fun and interesting facts about Poodles we compiled for you.
15. There are three types of poodles: Standard Poodle, Miniature Poodle and Toy Poodle.
14. Standard Poodle is more than 35 cm and weigh from 18 to 32 kg while Miniature Poodle is from 25 to 35 cm and weigh from 4.5 to 7 kg and Toy Poodle is 25 cm or under, and weigh from 1.8 to 2.7 kg.
13. All three breeds have the same build and cute appearance.
12. At first, they were bred as hunting dogs and the Poodle was named after splashing in water to bring ducks.
11. French people do love poodles and it's even the national dog of France.
10. In French, it's called Caniche meaning duck dog.
9. It is also the 7th most popular dog breed in the USA.
8. Right after Border Collie, the poodle is the second most intelligent dog breed on earth.
7. At first, they were bred as hunting dogs and it was named after splashing in water to bring ducks.
6. Despite their size, Poodles are highly active dog breeds.
5. They have hair, not fur.
4. The average lifespan of a poodle is about 12 to 15 years.
3. The Poodle cut isn't for fashion but function. Less hair simply makes them a good swimmer and puffs of hair protects their vital organs from cold water.
2. Poodles are one of the best dog breeds that can make great family dogs.
1. They're also one of the best hypoallergenic dog breeds.