Who doesn’t love eating sushi? If you are also the type of person who enjoys eating sushi so much, you’ve come to the right place! Today we’ve compiled a list of 10 fun facts about sushi for you. So keep reading to learn some interesting facts that will help you get to know sushi better. Here are all the sushi facts you need to know!
10. Sushi didn't originate in Japan. It was actually a popular dish called nare-zushi in Southeast Asia, which became popular in China even before reaching Japan.
9. However, modern sushi was invented in Tokyo in the early 1820s.
8. Sushi is good for health. It is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and is an awesome source of vitamin A.
7. An earthquake in 1923 made sushi more popular. Sushi was once, like hot dogs or tacos, a street food, however, as the prices of real estate dipped so low with the 1923 earthquake, it was suddenly attainable for sushi chefs to purchase a restaurant and serve sushi in their own restaurants.
6. There are more than six types of sushi. Some of them can be listed as Chirashizushi, Makizushi, Inarizushi, Oshizushi, Nigirizushi, and Narezushi.
5. The word, sushi, actually means rice in vinegar in Japanese.
4. The first US state to embrace sushi was Los Angeles. A Japanese businessman named Noritoshi Kanai opened the very first sushi restaurant of the USA in Little Tokyo in 1966.
3. It actually takes 10 years for a sushi chef to become a master.
2. It's a tradition to compliment the sushi chef by buying him a drink. However, you might have to drink one with him, if he accepts.
1. Wasabi was used to kill parasites. The plant consists of antimicrobial chemicals which was used in sushi to kill any microbes and parasites in raw fish.