Everyone has heard songs such as Where’s My Mind? and Hey by the Pixies and since the year (1986) they started, they’ve inspired so many rock bands with their music such as Nirvana and Radiohead.
However, how much do you really know about them? Check out the 10 surprising facts about the band Pixies we compiled for you.
1. Black Francis’ real name is Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV.
His stage name comes from a joke that his father had told how he was saving that name in case he had another son.
2. Kim Deal has a twin and the band wanted Kim Deal's twin sister Kelley to be their drummer, but she refused.
Instead, Kelley would go on to play the guitar in the Breeders (Kim Deal's other band).
3. Disagreements among the group members led Kim Deal to quit the band multiple times.
After Kim Deal left the Pixies, the band disbanded in 1993 and then they reunited in 2004, but Kim Deal left the band again in 2013 and she was replaced the same year by Paz Lenchantin.
4. Contrary to what is believed, the song "Allison" isn't about a girl, it's a song about jazz pianist Mose Allison.
5. "Where Is My Mind?" was actually inspired by a snorkeling trip.
"That came from me snorkeling in the Caribbean and having this very small fish trying to chase me." Black Francis, Select , 1997.
6. The band's name actually came out while Joey Santiago was flicking through a little dictionary and happened upon the word "pixie."
7. The lyrics of the song "Ana" are an acrostic, with the first letter of each line spelling out "SURFER."
8. "Monkey Gone To Heaven" is based on Hebrew numerology according to its author.
The devil is six and God is seven? “It’s an interesting fact,” said Black Francis. “If it is a fact. I didn’t go to the library to figure it out.”
9. Black Francis said he wasn’t sure why Kim Deal left the band.
“She’s been reticent for a very long time to make a new record. She was unhappy with the situation, or unhappy with her life or whatever, just not happy.” - Black Francis.